Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Catch Up: Part 1: Memorial Weekend

After spending a million dollars lot of money at REI (aka Cabella's for camping/outdoors) we packed our back packs and headed for the great outdoors.  We went backpacking for 3 days, 2 nights with 3 other couples and Skippy. Skippy has a girlfriend but for some reason or another she didn't come-she's a smart girl if you ask me:)


We loaded the packs Friday night with food, clothing, a tent, sleeping bags, etc.  These packs you have to carry on your back the whole entire time so you want to make sure everything you bring is light.  Easier said than done. Lily and Jax joined us on the trip.  They had their own packs with their food and water. 


I think they look SO stinkin' cute with their dog packs!
Lily, apparently doesn't feel the same..."What the heck is this thing on my back?!"


We met up with the group on Saturday morning and drove about an hour to Lost Creek Wilderness Trail. The first day consisted of a 4-5 mile hike and then we set up camp.  Setting up our tent was easy but we didn't exactly set it up on the most level ground so the whole entire night I would slip to the bottom of the tent in my sleeping bag.  Not to mention there was a nice sized rock under our tent that hurt really bad if you stepped/laid on it wrong. 

They say to keep warm in your sleeping bag you're supposed to sleep in it naked. So I slept in my sports bra and undies.  Poor little Lily was so cold that night, not only did she puke in our tent but she was also went wondering around in the dark woods.  (I kicked her out of the tent momentarily so she wouldn't throw up anymore) So I was wondering around, in next-to-nothing, in the woods...glad noone saw, I think.  Once I got Lily back into the tent I figured the only way to keep her warm was to let her sleep in my sleeping bag with me.  It was cramped but we kept each other warm. Jax was cold, too but he's much too big to share a sleeping bag with so we were using what little clothing we had to cover him up at night.  And their packs rubbed them raw during the hike so I don't think they liked camping/hiking very much.
At the trail head. Lily's good side.
 
 

 
The girls: Me, Jacy, Melany and Danielle
Me & Colby with the dogs. Filling up our water tanks at the stream.
Blake  makin' us mac n cheese


The whole gang: Me, Danielle, Nate, Skippy, Melany, Jax, Blake, Tatum, Colby, Marty & Jacy

The second day we packed everything up and hiked another 4-5 miles and set up at a different camp site.  Dropped all our stuff and hiked some different trails. The third day was a 5 mile hike back to the cars and I don't think I have ever been more ready to get back to civilization.  I was tired, exhausted, grouchy and all I wanted to do is sit down and not carry 40lbs on my back anymore.  Lily and Jax felt the same way.  Colby was my cheerleader all the way back to the car.  I'm not sure how many times he said, "Babe, we're almost there."  At some point I quit believing him.  BUT we made it back to the cars. Drove into town.  Stopped at a Mexican restraurant and stuffed our faces with delicious Mexican food and chugged beers! 

When we got back to Denver we took the dogs to a place called "Chewy's Bonetique" for baths. They have these awesome dog tubs and provide all of the supplies!
Jax looks less than thrilled.
She looks so tiny in sucha big tub.
The views were gorgeous, we had a awesome weather and it was an amazing work out! Our first Memorial Weekend and backpacking trip together is now in the books!
Next up: 14er




No comments:

Post a Comment